What You Are Doing To Cause Wrinkles (And How To Prevent Them)
We dread the day we look in the mirror and see a middle-aged woman looking back at us. Where did these wrinkles come from? How do I get rid of these wrinkles? How do I prevent more wrinkles? No, making the decision to never look in another mirror is not a solution, but there are some very simple steps you can take in your daily life to prevent wrinkles and get rid of unwanted wrinkles on your face.
The Biology of WrinklesOur body is a system, a machine, so as we age things start to break down. Some are replaceable, naturally or with supplements, but some are not. When it comes to our skin, our cells slow down just like the rest of our bodies and that is what causes wrinkles. Collagen, hyaluronic acid, and heparan sulfate do not regenerate as quickly, so new cells do not come to the surface like they did in our youth. At a molecular level, our cells are unable to dump toxins which can eventually cause damage and will also cause wrinkles.
What YOU Are Doing to Cause WrinklesYou are probably doing damage to your skin every day and don’t even know it. If you are guilty of any of the following, making these slight changes can help you prevent wrinkles.
- Skipping the SPF: Just because you aren’t at the pool does not mean you do not need to apply sunscreen. SPF should be applied every morning, particularly if you do a lot of driving or sit near a window at work or in your home.
- Constantly Squinting: It could be from needing an update on your eyeglass prescription, constantly looking at your phone, or reacting to bright light.
- Pulling or Rubbing Your Eyes: Rubbing those tired itchy eyes may feel good, but it is breaking down the collagen and elastin in the already delicate cells. You may also be causing wrinkles when putting on eye makeup by tugging too hard on the skin.
- Using Harsh Cleansers: Your body is a machine, but do not wash it like a car. You need those natural oils, so stay away from cleansers that will dry out your skin. It is actually recommended that you cleanse your skin with an oil, like coconut oil or sea buckthorn oil.
- Sleeping On Your Stomach: Many experts suggest sleeping on your back to prevent wrinkles from forming on your face as you sleep.
- Smoking: This is an easy one. You should quit smoking for SO many reasons, but in regards to preventing wrinkles, smoking causes cellular damage, toxin build up, discoloration of your skin, and increased wrinkles around your mouth every time you take a drag.
- Drinking From a Straw: As with the cigarette, constantly using the muscles around your mouth to sip on a straw will cause wrinkles at the lips.
- Eating Too Much Sugar: Sugar will bind to collagen in a process called glycation, making the collagen weaker and losing elasticity.
- Using TOO MUCH Product: So often people follow this ritual of multiple cleansers and moisturizers and serums. All of those different products can irritate skin more, causing inflammation, and the constant rubbing, buffing, and scrubbing will stretch skin and cause wrinkles.
What You Can Do To Prevent and Get Rid of WrinklesNow that you know what you should NOT do, here are a few tips on what you should do:
- Use sunscreen daily, particularly on your face and hands
- Maintain a healthy blood sugar level
- Reduce stress
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink plenty of water
- Stop squinting - get an eye exam and wear sunglasses
- QUIT SMOKING
- Eat a diet rich in antioxidants and Omega-7 like kale and sea buckthorn berry
- Enrich your diet with supplements rich in antioxidants and Omega-7
- Use gentle facial cleansers
To learn more about what causes wrinkles and how to prevent wrinkles, check out all of the solutions SIBU has to offer by visiting our products page.