Health & Beauty Benefits of Sea Berry; From the Inside and the Outside
Sea Berry is by definition the astringent edible orange berry of the sea buckthorn [bush or shrub]. Not surprisingly, there is a lot more to it than that. With a nutrient profile consisting of over 190 bioactive compounds, sea berry contains amino acids, vitamins B1, B2, K, C, A, E, and folic acid, over 60 antioxidants, at least 20 minerals, and healthy fatty acids. This super fruit is full of carotenoids, xanthophylls, phenolics, and flavanoids. It’s an absolute powerhouse of nutrients!
With so much to offer, how is this little “miracle berry” best used to your advantage? There are many beneficial herbs and botanicals out there but HOW you use them can determine the benefits. Anti-oxidants can be especially tricky in regards to getting the most out of what they offer. Sea berry is unique in that it provides powerful benefits both internally and topically. Let’s break it down.
Sea Buckthorn Supplements Sea Berry is VERY tart and astringent! It’s definitely not the “pop a handful of berries in your mouth for a snack” kind of berry. A sea berry juice or soft gel supplement are the most common ways to get your daily dose. Here are some of the key benefits to ingesting sea berry.
- Sea berry contains all of the key fatty acids – omegas 3, 6, 9 and the elusive omega 7. It is, in fact, the world’s richest plant-based source of omega 7. Though the oil extracted from the seed of the berry does contain a small amount of omega 7, it’s the pulp or fruit and the oil extracted from it that has the most internally beneficial amounts of omega 7 (palmitoleic acid). This monounsaturated fatty acid benefits and supports the cardiovascular system, the digestive and urogenital tracks, the mucosal membranes of the body and promotes skin, hair and nail health.
- There is at least 10x the amount of vitamin C in a sea berry as there is in an orange; making it ideal to boost your immune system. Vitamin C also plays a key role in boosting collagen production in the skin.
- The anti-oxidants in sea berry neutralize free radicals and help prevent damage on a cellular level. High potency and the bioavailability of the anti-oxidants make all the difference. Sea Berry wins in both categories here!
- The high amount of omega 7 found in sea berry also plays a key roll in helping to support metabolic function. Though not a weight loss product, omega 7 (palmitoleic acid) has been shown in studies to reduce insulin resistance and counter the risk factors that are responsible for metabolic syndrome. Click here for more information.
Sea Buckthorn Skincare So how can sea berry help you look better from the outside? Earlier, I mentioned the oil extracted from the seeds of the sea berry. This “magical” golden oil is rich in vitamins A & E, omega 3 fatty acids and a plethora of anti-oxidants. It does have internal benefits but it’s on the outside that it really takes center stage. Check out the list of benefits:
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin
- Naturally anti-microbial and anti-bacterial
- Reduces redness and calms irritation *Pro Tip - Applying as a spot treatment on areas of rosacea, eczema or even acne can help relieve dryness, inflammation and irritation
- Extremely healing when applied to minor cuts or burns – including minor sunburn, and can help reduce the appearance of scarring due to its restorative and regenerative properties
- Effective anti-aging treatment that has been used throughout Asia and India for centuries. *Pro Tip - Apply daily as an all-over beauty oil to reduce fine lines and also help lessen the appearance of visible sun damage.
Sea Berry seed oil by itself is a very effective beauty oil. You will also find it as a key ingredient in a variety of creams, serums and body and hair care products. If you’re looking for a natural ingredient that can truly make a difference in your health and beauty from the inside and the outside, give the little orange sea berry a try.