As we get older our bodies naturally age. Part of that aging process is that our skin loses elasticity, sags, and forms wrinkles, especially around our face, neck, and chest. There are many factors that can affect your skin and keep it from looking as firm as it did when you were younger, including sun damage, collagen loss, and more. Thankfully, there are skin tightening home remedies for your face that don't require painful or invasive procedures and can combat the most visible signs of aging. Most women are eager to learn how to tighten facial skin, but before we delve into skin tightening home remedies for the face, let's quickly review why our skin develops wrinkles and loses firmness to begin with.
Why Does Skin Lose Its Tightness as You Age?As we get older our skin loses firmness and begins to sag. Our smile lines get deeper, crow's feet forms around our eyes, and even our neck and chest feel the effects of gravity. The reason our skin reacts this way is due to several factors including slower collagen synthesis, uneven fat distribution, weakened connective tissues, excessive sun exposure, weight loss, and pregnancy. Let’s delve into each of those a bit more.
Collagen SynthesisAs you start to age you might look in the mirror and notice that your cheeks aren’t quite as full as they used to be, or that your skin has become looser and more wrinkled in some areas. This is because our bodies don't process collagen, which increases skin elasticity, as quickly as it used to when you were younger.
Sun ExposureWhen you were young you were probably more concerned about getting a good tan and having fun outside than protecting your skin from future aging. However, excessive sun exposure can actually make you age faster. Too much sunlight damages the collagen in your skin and causes premature wrinkles and sagging skin on your body. So don’t skip your daily sunscreen!
Connective TissueCollagen loss is also responsible for weakening the connective tissues in your body as you age. These tissues are necessary for supporting your bones and cartilage as well as the surrounding skin—which also droops as connective tissue weakens.
Fat DistributionWhile many women are constantly battling the bulge, fat plays a large role in giving you a youthful appearance. When you’re young, your body fat is pretty evenly distributed under your skin, but as you age it clumps together and starts to sag. Yes, even your fat will one day give in to gravity.
Pregnancy and Weight Loss
Both rapid weight gain and rapid weight loss can lead to sagging skin. This is very common during pregnancy because women tend to gain a significant amount of weight (especially around their belly) and then lose it very quickly once they’ve had their baby. While it would be nice if your body just snapped back into shape once the weight is gone, skin isn’t quite that elastic, and sagging skin is often left behind even after you’ve lost your baby weight.
Amazing Skin Tightening Home Remedies for Your Face
While aging is a natural process you can't reverse, that doesn't mean you can't slow it down. Here are 10 amazing skin tightening home remedies for your face.
1. Aloe VeraOne of the best skin tightening home remedies for your face is aloe vera. There’s no risk in using aloe vera because it is all natural and very gentle on your skin. It’s also incredibly convenient because you can grow it right in your own home. Aloe vera contains vitamin E, which helps your immune system and protects your cells from damage. This is great, but the real star of the show is the malic acid it contains. Malic acid improves skin elasticity, moisturizes, and best of all increases collagen production in your skin to keep you looking youthful. Aloe vera is also one of the simplest skin tightening home remedies for your face because all you need is an aloe vera leaf to get started. Simply squeeze out the desired amount of aloe vera gel and apply it your face and neck. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes, then rinse your face with lukewarm water to remove the residue, pat dry, and you’re done. If you want to step it up, you can mix 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, honey, or both into 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel to make a face mask.
2. Coconut OilYou might have eaten this yummy skin tightening home remedy, but did you know it can also tighten your facial skin? Coconut oil works because it contains natural antioxidants, antifungals, and vitamin E that work to prevent skin damage while simultaneously moisturizing and soothing your skin. The best way to tighten face skin with coconut oil is to massage a teaspoon of oil into your skin before bedtime and leave it on while you sleep. You can do this every night to get the most from your coconut oil routine.
3. Egg WhitesDelicious to eat and even better for your skin, eggs have been used to lessen the appearance of wrinkles since Elizabethan times. Egg whites are great for your skin because they contain proteins for collagen production and fats that help naturally lift and tighten your face skin. If you have large pores, egg whites will be your best friend because part of their tightening effect is to reduce the size of your pores, giving your skin a smoother look. Using egg whites to tighten face skin is simple. Take one or two egg whites and whisk until slightly frothy, then apply to the face with a clean makeup brush. Apply two even coats and allow the egg whites to dry for about 15-20 minutes or until the egg whites look matte instead of shiny. Rinse with water and pat dry. If you want, you can even add honey to your egg white mask. Honey adds vitamin C and moisture to the mix for an added boost.
4. Regular ExerciseBuilding muscle while you exercise is one way to help prevent sagging skin on the body. Tight and firm muscles under your skin make skin look firmer. While exercise is beneficial for the entire body, there are different anti-aging exercises you can do to build facial muscles that give the appearance of tightened face skin. Make sure you’re gentle with your facial skin as pulling on it can cause more sagging if you’re not careful.
5. LemonThis simple, yet effective skin tightening home remedy for the face works because lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which boosts collagen in the skin and helps fight free radicals that cause aging. Boosting collagen and fighting free radicals also helps your skin recover faster from stretch marks and scarring and makes it look smoother overall. To use lemon to tighten face skin, simply juice a lemon and apply it your face with a cotton ball. Allow the lemon juice to soak in for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with water and pat dry. If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute your lemon juice with water and apply it in the same manner. Additionally, you can add lemon to any other face mask you have for additional vitamin C.
6. Olive OilGood for your insides and outsides, olive oil has been used since Egyptian times to moisturize, clean, and fight bacteria. Even the Minoans used olive oil as a cleanser for their bodies. While the Egyptians and Minoans might not have known the science behind why olive oil was so good for them, today we know that olive oil contains vitamin E and antioxidants that improve the appearance of and tighten face skin. The best time to use olive oil is right after you’ve showered because your skin is primed to absorb the oil. Try massaging the oil into your face and body in place of your regular body and face lotion.
7. Coffee GroundsGood news—your coffee habit may have another bright side besides waking you up each morning! Save those coffee grounds from your morning cup of joe and use it in the evening to tighten face skin. You might not have realized it, but your coffee grounds can be used to make an amazing facial scrub that not only smooths out wrinkles and eliminates dead skin, but also contains antioxidants that fight aging and make you look younger. Plus, the caffeine in coffee can do a lot to brighten up your skin and make it look more vibrant. To make your coffee scrub you’ll need ¼ cup of coffee grounds, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil. Mix it all together and gently massage it into your skin. You can use it on your face, neck, chest, or anywhere else you need some extra exfoliation or skin firming benefits.
8. Sea Buckthorn BerryOne of the best skin tightening home remedies for the face is sea buckthorn berry. Although it’s small, this berry packs a big punch. Sea buckthorn berry is effective because it contains Omega 7, which promotes collagen production, as well as 190 other bioactive compounds. All of these benefits work together to help heal skin from sun damage, soothe sensitive skin, firm and tighten skin, reduce wrinkle appearance, and decrease stress on your skin that leads to early aging. The best way to apply this remedy to tighten face skin is by using sea buckthorn berry skin care as part of a daily routine.
9. Yogurt Oh so yummy and oh so good for your skin. While you’ve probably never considered smearing yogurt on your face, yogurt contains some skin tightening properties that makes it a great skin tightening home remedy for the face. The main anti-aging benefit of yogurt comes from the lactic acid found in this creamy milk product. When applied to your face, the lactic acid shrinks your pores, making skin appear tighter and smoother as a result. To give it a try, add 2 drops of lime juice to 2 tablespoons of yogurt and smear it on your face, neck, and chest. Take 10 minutes to massage the mixture into your skin and then let it sit for about 5 minutes so all the goodness can soak in. Rinse it off and pat dry. Voila—you’re skin is looking great.
10. CucumberAnother delicious addition to our list is also a great skin toner and skin tightening home remedy for the face. Cucumber has the benefit of being both cheap and incredibly gentle on sensitive skin. It can also be used daily to hydrate skin, reduce puffiness, tighten pores, and gently tone the skin. There are a few different ways you can use cucumber to tighten face skin, including juicing the cucumber in a blender and straining it. You can then apply just the juice to your face and neck with a simple cotton ball. Rinse when dry. Another option is to skip the straining step above and just apply the blended cucumber directly to your face. Rinse, and pat dry after letting it sit for 15 minutes. Finally, you can also make a cucumber mask by getting together a few additional ingredients. For your mask you’ll need 2 tablespoons of your cucumber juice, 1 egg white, and 3 drops of vitamin E oil or Sea Berry Seed Oil. Use a clean makeup brush to apply the mixture to your skin. After 15 minutes, wash, and pat your skin dry to remove the mask. Now that you know how to tighten face skin at home, go ahead and give these skin tightening home remedies for the face a try. Find your favorite home remedies and learn more about how to reduce the signs of premature aging with SIBU’s blog. We have tons of health and beauty tips to help you live a better life today.