8 Fall Skin Care Tips: Helping Your Skin Transition from Summer & Prep for Winter
As the famed literary character Anne of Green Gables says, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” The fall seasons brings with it crisp weather and a whole slew of seasonal fun. There are sweaters and layering. There are pumpkins and pumpkin spice treats. There are football games and costume parties. Really, there are few things to dislike about fall – except how quickly the season ends.
Trouble for Your SkinHowever, your skin may not embrace the changing seasons quite so enthusiastically. Every time there’s a change in the weather, your skin takes some time to adjust. And those adjustments may manifest as troublesome skin for a few weeks.For example, during the winter months, your skin is producing more oil to stay hydrated. When the weather cools down, your skin has to prepare for dry, harsh air.
Your skin will need to work hard to stay hydrated in the midst of rain, wind, and chilly temperatures. This might cause cracking or peeling skin, inflammation, and breakouts. Then as spring turns to summer and humidity increases, that oil now gets trapped under the surface of the skin and may leave it feeling greasy and acne-prone.
Help Your Skin OutHowever, if you’re aware of the coming changes, you can go into defense mode and prevent some of the havoc that the changing seasons may wreak on your skin. By sticking to a consistent morning and evening ritual, you’ll be able to avoid some of the dreaded dry skin and irritation that usually occurs when the seasons change.Read on for 8 fall skin care tips to help you seamlessly transition into the season of cool mornings and chilly nights.
1. Switch Up Your CleanserMany women love foaming cleansers that give a truly fresh-faced feeling in the nightly skincare routine. However, foaming cleansers can be a bit harsh when the weather cools down, since they’re more aggressive in removing oils from the skin’s pores. Switch to a cream cleanser to keep more of your skin’s natural oils intact.
2. Apply a Soothing SerumYour skin needs all the help it can get to fight off tough winds in the cooler weather. We recommend using a hydrating serum like SIBU’s Hydrating Facial Serum on a daily basis to give your skin an added glow. Facial serum adds antioxidants to the skin, fights sun damage from the long summer days, and stimulates collagen.
3. Moisturize (and Then Moisturize Some More!)It’s nearly impossible to over-moisturize when the air is drier and colder. Use a thicker cream and pay attention to all parts of your body for ultimate hydration. In the fall and winter, be sure to use a whole lineup of moisturizers:
- Daytime moisturizer
- Thick night cream (try SIBU’s Rejuvenating Night Cream)
- Body cream (like the fast-acting moisturizing body cream)
- Hand cream
4. Exfoliate Less FrequentlyYou’ll want to cut back on retinoids in cold weather, which most exfoliation products contain a heavy dose of. Try an oil-based scrub or mask just once a week to avoid irritating your skin and stripping it of natural oils.
5. Don’t Forget Your SPFYou may have overlooked number five on our list of fall skin care tips. Just because you’re not spending all day in the intense sunshine doesn’t mean you don’t need to apply SPF! Though the temperature may be cooler, the sun still can do damage to your skin, even on a cloudy day. Make sure your daily moisturizer still contains at least SPF 15 to keep you protected from the winter sun’s rays.
6. Take a PillRenew your skin from the summer sun damage with skin antioxidants. When taken in a pill form, they’ll restore hydration and radiance from the inside out. SIBU’s Omega-7 blend is a great way to start. Look for a pill with sea berry oil, fish oil, biotin, or zinc and calcium to really give your skin a boost.
7. Invest in Cuticle OilMany women experience dry cuticles in the fall and winter, which can be irritating and painful. SIBU’s convenient Miracle Stick Healing Balm is great for healing cracked cuticles, along with a slew of other healing remedies like sunburn relief and treatment for eczema.
8. Purchase a Home HumidifierIf you really want to combat troubles with your skin in the fall, use a home humidifier to keep the air inside your home more hydrating. Humidifiers can benefit your family in all sorts of ways aside from preventing dry skin. They’re known to help prevent illness, snoring, and even make your home feel warmer.
By following these fall skin care tips, you’ll be well on your way to firmer, more hydrated skin when the cold weather arrives. You’ll be glad you invested a little time and money in a fall skin care routine when you see the difference it makes! Get your autumn skin care fix by checking out our skin care line for even more reputable products that lead to truly luminous, healthy skin.