8 Fall Skin Care Tips: Helping Your Skin Transition from Summer & Prep for Winter
As the famed literary character Anne of Green Gables says, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” The fall seasons brings with it crisp weather and a whole slew of seasonal fun. There are sweaters and layering. There are pumpkins and pumpkin spice treats. There are football games and costume parties. Really, there are few things to dislike about fall – except how quickly the season ends.
Trouble for Your SkinHowever, your skin may not embrace the changing seasons quite so enthusiastically. Every time there’s a change in the weather, your skin takes some time to adjust. And those adjustments may manifest as troublesome skin for a few weeks. For example, during the winter months, your skin is producing more oil to stay hydrated. When the weather cools down, your skin has to prepare for dry, harsh air. Your skin will need to work hard to stay hydrated in the midst of rain, wind, and chilly temperatures. This might cause cracking or peeling skin, inflammation, and breakouts. Then as spring turns to summer and humidity increases, that oil now gets trapped under the surface of the skin and may leave it feeling greasy and acne-prone.
Help Your Skin OutHowever, if you’re aware of the coming changes, you can go into defense mode and prevent some of the havoc that the changing seasons may wreak on your skin. By sticking to a consistent morning and evening ritual, you’ll be able to avoid some of the dreaded dry skin and irritation that usually occurs when the seasons change. Read on for 8 fall skin care tips to help you seamlessly transition into the season of cool mornings and chilly nights.
1. Switch Up Your CleanserMany women love foaming cleansers that give a truly fresh-faced feeling in the nightly skincare routine. However, foaming cleansers can be a bit harsh when the weather cools down, since they’re more aggressive in removing oils from the skin’s pores. Switch to a cream cleanser to keep more of your skin’s natural oils intact.
2. Apply a Soothing SerumYour skin needs all the help it can get to fight off tough winds in the cooler weather. We recommend using a hydrating serum like SIBU’s Hydrating Facial Serum on a daily basis to give your skin an added glow. Facial serum adds antioxidants to the skin, fights sun damage from the long summer days, and stimulates collagen.
3. Moisturize (and Then Moisturize Some More!)It’s nearly impossible to over-moisturize when the air is drier and colder. Use a thicker cream and pay attention to all parts of your body for ultimate hydration. In the fall and winter, be sure to use a whole lineup of moisturizers:
- Daytime moisturizer
- Thick night cream (try SIBU’s Rejuvenating Night Cream)
- Body cream (like the fast-acting moisturizing body cream from Sibu’s line of body care)
- Hand cream